Thursday, June 27, 2019

Squash Blossoms!



Squash and cukes
Squash flowers
So I looked at my garden today and couldn't feel anything but happiness.  On March 29th, three months ago, I started my garden. Today there was nothing but green and growing plants everywhere.  I'm happy and excited and amazed.  I have corn that's hip high (what's the old saying?  Knee high by the fourth of July?).  

My tomato plants are strong and healthy and need to be trellised.  I have carrots, radishes, beets, peppers, and pumpkins I grew from seed along with the tomatoes and corn.

Three Sister Garden
And the garlic! The garlic is going strong and making more garlic while all the varieties of squash are flowering. 

Garlic Bulbs
Oh, my squash!  It made me dance and sing and jump around (a lot easier now that I'm down to a brace from Das Boot).  I even did a little watercolor sketch of my first squash blossoms.  I'm already dreaming of how to pick them, stuff and cook them into a tasty treat right after I'm sure the female blossoms are pollinated. 

I can't believe how my plants are growing and thriving.  It's really exciting. 

Now some stuff isn't so exciting.  For example, the other day I rebuilt the gate I rolled through by building a new one using PVC pipes.  I figured out that a 1" PVC pipe fits nicely over a piece of half-inch pipe to make a pivot for the gate to open in and out. 
My new PVC gate ❤️

I zip tied the mesh to the frame and used some zip ties looped together to make a latch to hold the gate closed.  I cut the piece to replace my other gate and will frame the other pieces in my garden to replace the weakened wood with PVC.  I'm kind of feeling ... I don't know, badass?

Yeah, badass

I know I still need to make some adjustments and such, but I keep surprising myself with what I am capable of doing with this little piece of land. I'm already planning on what will go in for a fall crop when I harvest the beets in the next week or two (if they follow the schedule the seed company says between planting and harvesting; however, they still look like little bitties to me).   I see the tops of my carrots, parsnips and Parisian carrots all getting bigger each day and know that they will start being close to harvest before I know it.

March 29, 2019
June 27, 2019
If you had asked me three months ago what I expected out of my garden,  I would have shrugged and told you what I hoped for but I wouldn't have believed that it would turn out better than my dreams.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...