Monday, April 15, 2019

Welcome to the Greenhouse

These are the plants I  started in their old lettuce container greenhouses sitting in indirect sunlight.

Then I realized it won't be long before they outgrow their greenhouses.  So I needed something with more room for my seedlings.  Off to Ocean State Job  Lot for the $20 deck and patio greenhouse. 

We have one of these at school and I  figure if it can survive all the kiddos opening and closing it to water their seeds, it can survive being on my deck for the few weeks I need them to be before their ready to go into the ground for real. 

It's also time for me to start taking an inventory of what I have, what I need and what I should plant in ground vs seedlings from seed vs seedlings to buy.  What can I grow in 80+ square feet?  How much is enough? Too much? Not enough?  Do I need to order lettuce seeds?  Carrot seeds?  What else should I grow?  How much trellis space do I  need?  How high should they be?

What are the questions I haven't thought of yet?

This week is reading up on things and moving seedlings out to my greenhouse.  Maybe pick up a cheap thermometer to get a steady reading of the internal temp -  it's all new to me.  Well not all of it, but a lot of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...