Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and carrots in the "uptown" garden.  This past Sunday, it was two inches according to the rain gauge in the plot next to mine.

Not only that, it came with tornado warnings.

Yep, tornado warnings in Massachusetts.  Last year we couldn't buy a raindrop, this year we can't seem to buy a drop of sunshine.  *sigh*

When the sun does peek out from the haze of the Canadian wildfires, it's in the air that is hot and humid and makes you feel like you're wrapped in a wet wool blanket.

Of course, most of the plants are loving it, particularly the weeds.  I really hate weeds and yet, they are so happy to be watered on a regular basis, they pop up above ground to party and I have to yank 'em and tank 'em.  In fact, most of the work in the garden these days seems to be keeping the weeds under control.

The tomatoes are loving it too.  They are loving this weather and are growing tall and strong.  I can see lots of fruit appearing on the stems as well.  This is kind of exciting as I see myself being able to make a lovely batch of tomato sauce to can for the months when, as Guy Clark once pointed out, I can forget about the diggin' and the sweatin' every time I go and pick me one.

Of course, there are some Sungolds in there with the Romas and the various Heirloom varieties.  I'll try to save some of the seeds to start in the winter as that's a goal for this year: learn how to save seeds from year to year of varieties I like.  My peppers... well, they're trying.  They seem to be stuck and I don't know how to help them.  

The squash!  Oh my goodness the squash is so happy right now.

It is hard to think that these are the little seeds I had to restart after something ate the originals and they're all like, "Yo! We're gonna be pumpkins and other things because... SQUASH!"

They totally have an attitude and it makes me smile.

I have some poles and twine to guide them up to the trellis netting and it is always fascinating to see those runners reaching out and up to let me know that they are ready to head on up high.  

The other plants with attitude right now are my beans.  They are stretching and reaching and racing up the poles.  The poles are six feet long and with the way they are racing up, I'm wondering if they will reach past that point.  If so, what do I do then?

The sugar snap peas are ready for picking, so I'll pick those and plant some more beans in their place.  When I do that, it will be fun to watch the whole teepee fill in, which will make a great place for a little one to hide.

Last week that whole box was weeded and all the little bits of rogue herbs, another legacy of the ghosts of gardeners past, were under control.  After Sunday's rain, there was a carpet of them throughout the whole box.  An hour later, they were gone, but I have a feeling that it will be back after today's rain blew through.

There is an old belief to plant rosemary for remembrance by the garden gate.  Not me.  I have sage by my gate, hoping it will bring me wisdom.

This plant keeps surprising and delighting me.  It was a rescue from a supermarket years ago that I had hoped would make it through that season.  Each year it comes back stronger and fuller than the year before.  I trim it often, hang the leaves to dry, and then grind them up.  It is one of my favorite things to give to people in the depths of winter when it feels like everything is cold and distant.  Then there's a little jar of fragrant summer goodness to remind us all that it won't be long until spring will come along to warm our spirits and hearts. For now, it greets my comings and goings and whispers messages of encouragement.

Here's hoping for some summer days that are dry, temperate, and sunny.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...