Saturday, May 18, 2019

Time to get planting

I feel like every photo looks the same; however, things are different.  The 4x6x12 bed needs a little more soil but is in place.  I planted my  San Marzano tomatoes in part of that bed today.  My  8x2's are filling up.  Today I put in some cukes, zucchini, a variety of peppers and Egyptian walking onions.  I've been building with  PVC like a maniac, where I'm close but not quite there yet.

Last week's seeds haven't sprouted yet, but anytime now.

When I finish the 4x6,  I'll plant my  3 sister garden from seed. That will most likely be tomorrow.

At school, the kids are excited to build a 4z4 three sisters garden. On Monday, I'm taking one of my graduating kids to pick up the supplies and on Thursday my class will build the garden.  Our hope is that we will have a harvest in the fall about when we are covering Native Americans into Plymouth Plantation.  Then, we cook it all up into a fall stew over an open fire.  Actually, I'll do that after the kids do the prep work and gather the wood we need.  They learn a  number of things they learn:  food isn't instant, it takes time and patience to grow it.  Cooking over an open fire is hard work.  Not only do they appreciate things more, but they understand more. It invites curiosity and inspires.

It feels good that this is how it starts.  Soon that picture will have a lot more green to it as things sprout and grow and stop looking the same.  Sometimes I have to remember it's only mid-May in  Massachusetts, but it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...