Friday, April 19, 2019

PLANTS!!! (Or where I use lots of exclamation points)

I started my seeds less than a week ago.  I have no idea what I'm doing, but how hard could it be?  I  mean, I filled the starter pots with starter soil and planted according to directions and...  plants!

My herbs are still little bitties, but everything else!  Wow!

The green and yellow beans popped the top right off their lettuce box greenhouse!   The tomatoes are little spindly threads but they were up against the top and growing sidewards.  I  guess it was a good thing I picked up the greenhouse the other day while I was running errands.
 
The silver box on the shelf surrounded by my tomatoes is a wireless thermometer so I can an eye on my greenhouse temperature to make sure, if the temp falls below 60, I  can bring them in for the night.

The thermometer was going to make me nuts.  I found an indoor/outdoor thermometer at a local hardware store, got home only to find that the remote had 4 teeny screws on the battery compartment that were smaller than my eyeglass screwdriver.  *grrr*  So I  went back the next day,  the woman got the back off,  but there must have been a loose connection that  wasn't closing the circuit  as it wouldn't work consistently.  My third trip, the guy pulled out some tools, fiddled and got it working consistently (so far). 

As I'm out and about today, I'll stop at the dollar store and pick up a few cookie sheets for when the herbs are ready for the big greenhouse.

The seeds arrived today for my class to plant for our annual observation piece in science. This year they will grow tomatoes, basil and ghost peppers (per my students; request).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...