Sunday, June 11, 2023

Uptown

So working the uptown garden off my deck was tough.  Lack of nitrogen in the soil and the large number of roots made for some backbreaking work.  Yeah, yeah, sexy dirt and all that.  

Hey, at least my abs, biceps, triceps, and pecs got a workout.  Who needs a gym when you garden?

The real thing is that having a garden off the deck makes me feel like a grown-up.  Well that and buying a new canopy for the porch swing that matches the umbrella and a tablecloth for the table.  Gone is that curb find college look, it's sort of like, "Oh here's a photo of my deck and I'm not embarrassed."

But I have a guardian angel for my garden.  Her name is Seraphina and she likes to face the East.  I decided she needed to be surrounded by lavender, salvia, phlox, snapdragons, and lilies.  In other words, she needs to be surrounded by pretty colors all the way around.  

Then came some new problems.

Apparently, I have something that likes to eat flowers.  I came out and found something had made a nice little snack of my red lilies and yellow roses.  Seriously?  What the hell eats roses?  

My guess was the squirrels, but everyone keeps looking at me and saying, "I don't think so."  I haven't seen any rogue deer wander through lately and after I got the red lily in, something ate the last of the flowers on it.
I did try planting some Asiatic lily bulbs in Seraphina's garden.  It's a bit late, but I figured I'd give it a try.  I also planted the Dahlia tubers someone gave me.  I don't know if they'll grow or not as this whole flower garden thing is new to me.  At least I can say I tried.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rain Rain Go Away

Here in New England, the rain is rolling in on a regular basis.  Three inches in one day last week - which almost drowned my lettuce and car...